The lawyers at the Stuart Tinley Law Firm have been litigating carbon monoxide lawsuits and workers’ compensation cases over the past many years.
We have come to know many individuals who have suffered serious injury and disability from carbon monoxide poisoning and want to help educate the public on the cause of carbon monoxide poisoning and methods to help detect and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from occurring.
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide builds up in your bloodstream and replaces the oxygen ordinarily carried by your red blood cells. Carbon monoxide is a silent and odorless poison.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel. Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.
Carbon monoxide poisoning may occur at work, in homes, vehicles, and recreational vehicles. Individuals should be conscious of the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning because it can occur where you least expect, including hotel rooms and vacation rentals, where one would expect the environment to be safe.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- A bright red, flushed face
- Dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Fatigue and malaise (a general sick feeling)
- Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide poisoning is particularly dangerous for persons who are sleeping or intoxicated. It can cause irreversible brain damage, heart damage, and death. Fortunately, there are simple and reasonably inexpensive methods to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. The first is to be aware of and alert to the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The second is to install carbon monoxide detectors in each sleeping area of your house and bring a portable carbon monoxide detector with you when you stay in a hotel or vacation rental. This may read as overkill to bring a carbon monoxide detector with you when you travel, but in at least one case the Stuart Tinley Law Firm has litigated an individual was overcome and seriously and permanently injured by carbon monoxide poisoning when sleeping in a vacation rental.
If you or your friends or family members are experiencing unexplained symptoms you believe are caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, our attorneys may be able to help. We have resolved cases involving exposure to carbon monoxide in the workplace and in vacation rentals. In 2019, our lawyers helped settle a case against the State of Iowa which resulted in a public settlement of $3,000,000.00.
Exposure to carbon monoxide can come from many sources including: water heaters, furnaces, boilers, room heaters, vehicles, boats, fireplaces, and wood burning stoves. Doctors frequently struggle in diagnosing carbon monoxide poisoning because the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning cannot relate the events that led to the doctor’s visit. This is another reason individuals should be aware of the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – to evade its immediate effects and obtain proper medical treatment after the fact.