Stuart Tinley Law Firm

Handling Today’s Estate Matters and Personal Injuries With

Compassion And Consistency
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » Car Accidents

Helping Accident Survivors For Decades

Everyone will experience a fender bender at some point in life, but a major accident is a completely different matter. If you survived a serious crash, you are probably mired in expensive bills, not to mention a heap of paperwork from your insurance provider. You have the right to work with an attorney who can guide you through this difficult period.

Ever since cars first began appearing on the streets of America, Stuart Tinley Law Firm LLP has helped injured car accident victims throughout Iowa and Nebraska. Our team of attorneys is dedicated to excellent legal service done with compassion. In our decades of experience, we have handled just about every type of car accident imaginable, including:

  • Rear-end collisions
  • T-bone collisions
  • Head-on collisions
  • Pedestrian accidents
  • Commercial trucking accidents
  • Bicyclist accidents
  • Motorcycle accidents

We believe in more than just stellar service. We also believe in friendliness, dedication and hard work. You will have these qualities in spades as we seek the maximum compensation for your damages.

The Many Damages Of Car Accidents

The expenses from a car accident can pile up before you even realize it. Fortunately, we can help you recover compensation for damages such as:

  • Lost wages
  • Prescription medications
  • Rehabilitative therapy
  • Hospital bills
  • Doctor’s office bills
  • Automotive repairs
  • Pain and suffering

If you lost a loved one in a crash, we can help you as well. You have the right to seek compensation for funeral costs, loss of consortium and loss of income. We know how to hold negligent parties accountable for the pain they have caused.

Frequently Asked Questions About Iowa Car Accidents

At Stuart Tinley Law Firm LLP, our attorneys work hard to answer all your questions, including these:

What should I do immediately after a car accident in Iowa?

After a car accident in Iowa, prioritize your safety above all else. Check for injuries and call 911 for medical assistance, and wait for the police and paramedics to arrive. Do not move your vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary for safety (and possible). Let the responding officer handle the exchange of information with the other parties involved. If you can, document the scene by taking pictures of the vehicles, damages and any relevant road signs or conditions.

How do I report a car accident in Iowa?

In Iowa, you must report an accident to law enforcement if it involves injuries, fatalities or property damage exceeding $1,500. In other words, most accidents need to be reported. Simply call 911 immediately after the wreck. This way, you will have accurate documentation for your records.

Is Iowa a no-fault state for car insurance?

No, Iowa is not a no-fault state. It follows a traditional fault-based system, meaning the at-fault party’s insurance typically covers the damages resulting from an accident.

What is the statute of limitations for filing a car accident lawsuit in Iowa?

In Iowa, the statute of limitations for filing a car accident lawsuit based on your injuries is generally two years from the date of the accident. (You have five years to file for property damage.) It’s advisable to consult with an attorney promptly to ensure compliance with the statute of limitations.

Should I accept the settlement offered by the insurance company?

Probably not. Insurance companies want to close out their claims at the lowest possible cost, so the first officer you get is usually the lowest. Insurers hope you will simply assume that all your claim is worth. Before accepting any settlement offered by the insurance company, you should speak with a personal injury attorney so that you can understand how your claim is properly valued, including your future anticipated losses.

Seek Our Experienced Help In A Free Consultation

Get the help of Stuart Tinley Law Firm LLP when you need experienced legal services after an injury. Discuss your car accident with one of our team members in a free consultation. To contact our Council Bluffs office, please call 712-261-6033 or send us an email.